Here is the 6th art-ivity at my Creative Remix workshop at the Roundhouse…Painting with Fabric! Yes, you heard that right..not with paint but with fabric and we went with the bird theme.
Here are the materials we used:
- square paper plate (as canvas)
- textile combo (2 coordinated prints and 2 plains)
(precut and pre-mixed & matched; kids choose from an assortment of combos)
- water dish
- Mode Podge glue, matte
- bond paper
- bird books and cliparts for inspiration
And here are the steps:
- Choose the bird you want to make. Draw it ‘big!’ on the bond paper provided, making sure it fits as centrepiece of square plate.
- Hold bond paper (top) and selected fabric (underneath), and then cut.
Tip: For bigger kids, you could use some dressmaking pins to secure the two layers together for easier cutting.
3. Continue following this method to cut the other elements of your design.
4. Cut to size and glue on biggest fabric provided onto the middle of plate using Modge Podge. (Brush glue onto plate)
5. Glue on main body of bird, then continue with other bird features and background embellishments. Note that Modge Podge dries clear so use it under and over your fabric. No worries!
6. When completed, mount on plate/frame stand and delight with pride with your family and friends!
Here are the masterpieces of my students. Great work, kids!
Soon after we finished the art plates, we went downstairs to the exhibition hall to prepare for the special showing of the kids’ works. They all helped mount the exhibition and were all excited to show their families and friends all the work they created in the Creative Remix sessions. Check out their art display, up next…