We are happy to share with you some photos and details of the latest sustainable expressive arts workshop at the MoNA, facilitated by Edna Lee of the Psychology Volunteers on Bikes.
Virtue Journal Making and Hand Lettering were the focus of the recent workshop. Below are the materials used.
- Two-hole Punch
- 12 different beautiful printed papers such as origami and printed card stock; recycled magazine pages and wrapping paper would also be nice (to use as month dividers)
- 1 sheet plain or corrugated craft foam (to use as journal cover)
- Different coloured markers
1. Choose a colored craft foam cover (letter-size/short size)
2. Choose 12 different beautiful printed paper (like origami paper) to use as dividers for the 12 months
3. Get 26 sheets of letter-size (short) bond paper/printer paper and cut in half horizontally
4. Fold foam cover horizontally and put 4 sheets of the cut bond paper for each month and put one sheet of printed paper (48 sheets total)
5. Punch, fasten and cut edges sticking out
6. The first four pages are for hand lettering practice.
(At the workshop, the alphabet was written in script on the board and samples of different types of hand lettering were providedo for every table- —letters embellished with curls, shading, dots, strips, spaces)
8. Write your name on the inside of the front cover using a combination of hand lettering styles.
9. Write the name of the month on each of the printed paper dividers.
10. Choose one virtue/value you want to reflect on for each month. Use hand lettering to write it on each divider.
(At the workshop, the participants were asked to suggest the virtues they would like to work on. They made a list on the board, and they chose 12, one for each month).
Examples of VIRTUES: Respect, Generosity, Industry, Joy, Helpfulness, Love, Care, Simplicity, Fairness, Happiness, Obedience, Sincerity
Here are some of the skills developed through the workshop:
1. DIY – Constructing things helped develop confidence
2. Hand Lettering– Opportunity to improve one’s handwriting and be creative
3. 12 Virtues in Focus– An Invitation to challenge oneself to improve throughout the year
With their newly handcrafted VIRTUE JOURNAL, the participants are tasked to:
Reflect on the following every week:
- How did I manifest the virtue this week?
- What can i do to learn this virtue?
- List your behavior or manifestation of the virtue in focus
We hope that this workshop will inspire you to make your own VIRTUE JOURNAL and aspire to better yourself this new year 2018.
Here is a set of virtues of the great Benjamin Franklin.